In Andal’s House, written by Gloria Whelan, is the moving story of a young boy called Andal living in Gujarat, India, and the way his childhood friendships are impacted by the Hindu caste system in present day India. Andal is from a ‘Dalit’ or ‘Untouchable’ family and although caste discrimination is now outlawed in India, old prejudices linger on.
The drama centres around the annual Diwali celebrations, which are marked by fabulous firework displays. The sky around Andal blazes with dazzling lights, but he is forbidden to join in the fun and festivities because of his status and is left with painful questions about his place in Indian society.
Gloria Whelan is an American poet, short story writer, and novelist known primarily for children’s and young adult fiction and winner of The National Book Award for Young People’s Literature in 2000.
Amanda Hall’s vibrantly colourful gouache illustrations depict glowing scenes of Indian life.
My commitment to you
I order in copies of my books from my publishers and pack and send them to my customers myself, to ensure they are delivered in excellent condition. The books all have my hand-written signature. You can also send me your own message (at Checkout stage) that I will add as a personal inscription, to make the book extra special.
If the goods arrive either damaged while in transit or late, you are legally entitled to a replacement or a full refund once the goods have been returned to me. Please see below for details.
Please check your order very carefully. Products are generally despatched quickly, and so cancellations cannot happen after payment has been made. Please review our Returns Policy for more information.
Which countries do you ship to?
- I deliver Worldwide.
- Please note that it might not be possible for Royal Mail to deliver to some locations, if this is the case I will notify you by email.
Which delivery service do you use?
- For UK deliveries I use Royal Mail 1st Class Signed For service for small parcels (this service has a maximum weight of 2kg).
- For deliveries outside the UK I use Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed service for small parcels (again, this service has a maximum weight of 2kg).
How much will it cost me to have the goods delivered to where I am?
- Prices will be finalised at the checkout stage as delivery charges will vary according to the book’s weight, the number of books ordered and the destination country.
How long does it usually take for orders to be delivered where I am?
- If you are ordering a book for a birthday or other special occasion, please allow the maximum 30 days delivery period to avoid disappointment.
- Delivery times will vary depending on the country of destination. I aim to deliver the goods by the times quoted below, but this is only a guide:
- UK – 6 working days
- Europe – 8 working days
- World Zone One – 10 working days
- World Zone Two – 10 working days
- World Zone Three – 10 working days