The Hard to Swallow Tale of Jonah and the Whale is an enchanting and funny version of this biblical classic. Joyce Denham’s writing perfectly describes the cantankerous and exasperating nature of Jonah as he battles internally with the voice of God.
We sympathise with Jonah as he is blamed for the storm at sea, and we are alarmed for him as he is cast overboard into the mouth of the passing whale. We begin to lose patience when we see him get angry because God has forgiven his enemies their sins, but we also forgive him, as we recognise that he is only human. There is an important moral about compassion in this timeless story.
The vivid and humorous illustrations by Amanda Hall are based in part on ancient Babylonian friezes. The double-page spread of the inhabitants of Nineveh sinning in multiple ways is breathtaking in its complexity.
My commitment to you
I order in copies of my books from my publishers and pack and send them to my customers myself, to ensure they are delivered in excellent condition. The books all have my hand-written signature. You can also send me your own message (at Checkout stage) that I will add as a personal inscription, to make the book extra special.
If the goods arrive either damaged while in transit or late, you are legally entitled to a replacement or a full refund once the goods have been returned to me. Please see below for details.
Take a look at my FAQs below, but you can also go to Conditions of Sale for my full Conditions of Sale policy.
Which countries do you ship to?
- I deliver to the UK, Republic of Ireland, USA and Canada, Australia, New Zealand.
- Please note that it might not be possible for Royal Mail to deliver to some locations, if this is the case I will notify you by email.
Which delivery service do you use?
- For UK deliveries I use Royal Mail 1st Class Signed For service for small parcels (this service has a maximum weight of 2 kg).
- For deliveries outside the UK I use Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed service for small parcels (again, this service has a maximum weight of 2 kg).
How much will it cost me to have the goods delivered to where I am?
- Prices will be finalised at the checkout stage as delivery charges will vary according to the book’s weight, the number of books ordered and the destination country.
- For a handy guide please see below for Postage & Packing costs in UK Sterling. These delivery costs are based on a single copy of the book on this product page only.:-
- UK P&P £4.70
- Republic of Ireland (Europe) P&P £9.50
- USA and Canada (World Zone 1) P&P £10.70
- Australia and New Zealand (World Zone 2) P&P £11.05
How long does it usually take for orders to be delivered where I am?
- If you are ordering a book for a birthday or other special occasion, please allow the maximum 30 days delivery period to avoid disappointment.
- Delivery times will vary depending on the country of destination. I aim to deliver the goods by the times quoted below, but this is only a guide.:-
- UK – 6 working days
- Republic of Ireland – 8 working days
- USA / Canada – 10 working days
- Australia / New Zealand – 10 working days
For how long can I cancel my order without any penalty?
- For books with my signature only, you are legally entitled to cancel your order up to 14 calendar days after the day on which you receive your goods.
- Books inscribed with a personal message are bespoke goods and are therefore nonreturnable, unless the goods arrive damaged or late (see below).
How do I cancel my order?
- Should you wish to cancel your order, you can use the cancellation form provided at the end of my Conditions of Sale policy, or alternatively, you can notify me by using my contact form
- In the Subject bar enter Return of Goods and your Order Number
- In Your Message enter your reasons for returning the goods.
- My postal address is Amanda Hall Illustration The Shadowhouse, 71 Cromwell Road, Cambridge CB1 3EB United Kingdom.
What happens if I cancel an order after the seller has posted it?
- If you have received the goods before you cancel your order, you should not unpack them, but return them to me at my address (below) at your own cost as soon as possible.
- If you have already unpacked the goods, you will need to repack them in such a way that they will be undamaged when returned so that I can resell them.
- Please note, I may make a deduction from your refund for any loss in the value of the goods supplied, if the loss is the result of unnecessary handling by you or damage while in transit due to insufficient packaging.
What happens if there is a problem with the goods?
- The goods you have ordered from me should meet their product descriptions on my website and arrive in good condition.
- If they don’t, you are within your rights to ask for a full refund.
- If that is the case, please, first send your questions or complaints to me via my contact form and I will contact you and either send you a replacement or offer you a full refund, once the goods have been returned to me.
- If you wish to exercise your consumer rights, to reject goods because they don’t meet their product descriptions, you need to post them back to me at the return address below. I will refund the cost of postage.
- For further details on this please read my Conditions of Sale.
What happens if an order does not arrive within the estimated time?
- I will aim to deliver the goods by the date quoted for delivery, but delivery times are not guaranteed. In any event, I will aim to deliver your goods within 30 days from the day after the day I received your order. If delivery is delayed beyond this time, I will contact you and either agree on a mutually acceptable alternative date or offer you a full refund, once the goods have been returned to me.
How do I return the goods?
- To return the goods, please first let me know your reasons via my contact form
- Fill in the Returns Form included in your package and place on top of the goods.
- Repack the goods either in the original or similar packaging to prevent damage from getting wet and being dropped while in transit.
- Use the Returns Label supplied to: Amanda Hall Illustration The Shadowhouse, 71 Cromwell Road, Cambridge CB1 3EB United Kingdom.
- Please ensure that you get proof of posting in case the returned package goes missing in the post.
Will VAT be added to my order?
- There is no VAT either on my books or Postage and Packing.